Ss. Lacrosse of daughters Peter and Paul overwhelms Caravel, remains undefeated: Photo gallery

Ss. Evelyn Murphy of Peter and Paul, surrounded by buccaneers, approaches the caretaker of the Caravelle Addison Van Rensler. Dialog Photo/Mike Lang

BEAR — The Bob Peoples Caravel Academy scoreboard was only lit midway through the first half of the Buccaneers girls’ lacrosse game against the visiting SS. Peter and Paul on April 11. By then, the Sabres, playing their only game away from Maryland this season, had taken a 7-0 lead en route to an 18-1 victory.

It was an impressive road trip for Ss. Peter and Paul, who seemed to score almost every time they touched the ball early on. Offensively, the Sabers dominated draws and controlled the few balls on the ground, while defensively they limited Caravel’s offense with their own aggressive play.

One of the game’s few misses came on their first eight-yard chance, but the Sabers held on to the ball and a cutting Emmary Sweeney came through the middle for the first goal of the day. Sweeney scored again after winning the next face-off, taking a pass from Morgan Quade, who was posted behind the net.

Quade then stepped onto the board, sending an eight-yard high shot past Caravel goalkeeper Addison Van Rensler. The eight-yarder was also a hit for Evelyn Murphy, who quickly made it 4-0. That one came after Ss. Peter and Paul won a ground ball.

The defense was exposed after Murphy’s goal. The Bucs won the tie, but the Sabers knocked it down near their own goal. Kathryn Murphy picked up the ball and started a downfield drive, which ended with a pass to Evelyn Murphy, who moved towards the keeper and put the ball into the net.

Caravel finally had a few eight-yard chances later in the half, but Sabers goalie Katie Bryan was up to the task, making two big saves. Hannah McLamb solved Bryan with 6:49 left in the first, passing eight yards to cut the Sabers’ lead to 7-1.

But that was the whole Buccaneers score. Ss. Peter and Paul scored three more times before the end of halftime, two from Hattie Messick, to take a 10-1 lead into the intermission. They immediately got to work in the second half, scoring on a shot from Murphy’s southpaw 29 seconds out.

With the outcome no longer in doubt, the Sabers stretched their possessions before shooting. Messick turned hot again late, scoring four of the team’s last five goals. A few of them came in dazzling photos. Bryan added two more saves on Bucs eight-yard shots.

Final statistics were not available on Monday evening. Messick finished with seven goals, while Evelyn Murphy scored five. Quade and Sweeney each had a hat trick. The Sabers went undefeated at 8-0. They are out until April 29, when Gunston travels to Easton for a 6:30 p.m. game.

Caravel fell to 5-3 and will play Thursday at 5 p.m. at home against Indian River.

All photos by Mike Lang.


About Author

Comments are closed.